The Secret Adventurer Henk Brand is pretty good at keeping secrets, specifically where to find the most secluded, picturesque beaches in Cape Town. But guess what? He’s also a firm believer in the sharing-is-caring principle and quite happy to take likeminded, adventurous foodies along on his covert missions, cooking them an epic foraged seafood feast on a secluded beach as the sun goes down.
- Swimming/rock jumping (optional and based on water conditions)
- Off-the-beaten track location and ocean views
- Gourmet mussel pot, snacks and drinks
17h00 – 19h30 (+/- 3 hours, starting time depending on season) Find out more…
Ever went to your favourite beach for sundowners only to be sandblasted to smithereens, or for an after-work swim, only to find the water choppy and horrible? Henk knows Cape Town’s beaches like the back of his hand, which means that on any given day, he’s clued up on which ones are South Easter proof, best for a dip when the sun goes down, and most importantly, the ideal spot for al fresco feasting.
That’s why the venue of each of his beach kitchen experiences is different. He also adapts each outing to your fitness levels, so whether you’re into scrambling over rocks or more of a leisurely stroller, he’ll tailor-make the experience to suit your needs.
Once you’ve made your way to your secret destination, Henk and his wife Suna will set up a magical beach kitchen and dining area – think fluffy throws, twinkling fairy lights, colourful bunting and lanterns – putting some drinks on ice.
As Henk gets on with preparing your mussel potjie (choose beforehand between his legendary Asian inspired mussels with coconut milk, lemongrass, chilli and coriander, or an Italian take with tomato, chilli, garlic and loads of fresh basil) you’re free to sip a drink, brave a snorkel in the icy Atlantic or simply enjoy taking in the breath-taking vistas. Once your appetite is nice and whetted, it’s as simple as tucking into a delicious dinner, served with plenty of locally sourced artisanal bread for mopping up the scrumptious sauce, while you watch the sun set over yet another beautiful day in Cape Town. Not half bad, we say!
- Gourmet mussel pot, bread and snacks
- Soft drinks. Additional drinks at a surcharge, or bring your own.
- Seating, blankets and cutlery
What’s not included
- Swimming gear and towels
- Bring comfortable shoes to walk on rocks or slippery, wet terrain
- Confirm any dietary or drink requirements
- A minimum number of 6 bookings is required for this experience to take place. Maximum 25 people. Smaller groups on quote basis. If the minimum number of bookings is not achieved you will be offered a change of date, or full refund.