Heard about Karoo flavours, but haven’t had the chance to experience it for yourself? Get yourself over to this legendary foodie hub for a delicious Karoo cooking experience and let the local pros acquaint you with the taste and cooking secrets of free-range lamb, fresh figs, and top-notch cheese during a fun day filled with small-town hospitality.
- Luxury sharing accommodation in a charming Karoo cottage
- Half-day cooking course with resident chef Camilla
- Inclusive of a meal
- Cook with local produce like Karoo lamb, venison, olives, figs and award-winning local cheeses and olive oil
- Hands-on cooking session
Two nights stay and half day cooking class.
- Any day by booking request (see book now)
R3 900 per couple sharing
Minimum 2 people (max 16), includes: a half day cooking class, a three-course meal and two nights accommodation in a typical Karoo cottage (extended stay possible on request).
Prince Albert really is the little village that could: drop-dead gorgeous scenery, serenity aplenty, and a foodie community that knows how to make the most of the fantastic produce around them. African Relish Cooking school is at the core of this culinary ’hood. Opened by Lisa and Philip Key over 10 years ago, the school has become a famous retreat for folks wanting to get a break away from it all and get down to the fun and therapeutic business of cooking and eating.
Under the guidance of resident chef Camilla, the school offers a host of courses, but one of the undisputed favourites is its Karoo Classics half-day class – perfect for those who want enough time left to explore, or should we say eatsplore, Prince Albert at their own pace.
Taking 3 hours, the class introduces you to the flavours and ingredients that make Karoo cuisine so special, and guides you to transform some of this amazing local produce – think Karoo lamb, venison, fresh figs, raw-milk cheese and cold-pressed olive oil – into the most epic feast.
While you’ll always make a starter, veggie dish, meaty main and dessert, the line-up of dishes changes frequently, so during one class you might make traditional roosterkoek, slow-roast Karoo lamb and melktert, while at another you could try your hand at olive and rosemary focaccia, braised venison and a panna cotta with fresh figs. Plus a side starring whichever locally grown organic heirloom vegetables happen to be in season. All in a day’s work, with plenty time to discover the rest of the town’s hidden gems for yourself.
- 2 night shared self-catering accommodation for 2 people
- half-day cooking course with resident chef for 2 people, plus 3 course meal
What’s not included
- All drinks
- All other meals
- Morning classes start promptly at 09:00 and include lunch
- Afternoon classes start at 14:00 and includes dinner
- Food preferences or allergies need to be sent in advance to the office
- School closed on Sundays and Mondays
- The accommodation is not on the same premises as the cooking school
- The office needs to be informed in advance if you would prefer to do an afternoon or morning class at least a week in advance
12:00 – Arrive in Prince Albert and check into self-catering accommodation
09:00 OR 14:00 – Karoo Classics cooking course with resident chef followed by a 3 course meal
10:h00 – Check out & Departure
(there is also the option to book extended accommodation)
Looking for the best new food experiences around South Africa? Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll keep you informed. We pinkie-promise to only send you the good stuff. You know – tasty new experiences, fun outings, a few exclusive offers…
Photography: Kleinjan Groenewald and Liezel Norval-Kruger