Sustainability superheroes and makers of top-notch tipples, Bartinney Wine Farm offers a chance to experience how the unique flavours of their farm’s fynbos are a match made in heaven with their boutique wines. The folks at Bartinney are as serious about producing top boutique wines as they are about championing biodiversity and sustainable farming.
- Interactive experience pairing Cape fynbos and wine
- Sensorial experience with freshly picked fynbos incorporating touch, smell, sight, and taste
- Taste 3 different varieties of Bartinney wines
- Learn about the Cape floral kingdom first-hand
- Best suited for wine lovers and local or tourist groups seeking something different
- Breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and vineyards on the beautiful Bartinney Wine Farm
30 minutes – 1 hour
Monday to Friday: 12h00 – 17h00
Saturday: 10h00 – 12h30
A wine tasting that engages all the whole senses
The folks at Bartinney are as serious about producing top boutique wines as they are about championing biodiversity and sustainable farming on the estate perched on Botmaskop in Stellenbosch. So much so that they replaced all alien vegetation growing on the farm with indigenous flora like Cape fynbos.
To show visitors first-hand how sustaining the environment plays a huge role in winemaking, they offer a truly unique fynbos and wine pairing in their Tasting Shed, overlooking the farm’s vineyards and the Banhoek Valley beyond.
The experience starts with a short talk about Bartinney Wine Farm’s sustainable farming practises and how the fynbos growing around the vineyards ultimately affect the taste of the fruit growing on the vines. And then you’ll get to taste for yourself. Three of Bartinney’s wines will each be paired with a specific fynbos species – Sauvignon Blanc with Pelargonium Citronellum, Chardonnay with Eriocephalus africanus, and Cabernet Sauvignon with Agathosma Ovata – to illustrate how the unique flavour profiles of each plant can be picked up in the different varietals.
The wines will also be accompanied by an ever-evolving range of South African-style canapés: think snoek frikkadels infused with the lemon-scented pelargonium, or wild rosemary springbok spanakopita with olive marmalade. It’s an experience that’s sure to give you a whole new outlook on the relationship between nature and winemaking.
What’s included in the wine tasting
- Wine tasting of 3 different wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc) paired with 3 Cape fynbos species
- Fynbos description card
- 3 light bites
What’s not included
- Transportation to and from the experience
- No vegetarian options
- No more than 10 people per booking
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years
- Wheelchair access
- Contact details, including telephone numbers, are included on your confirmation voucher
- Relaxed farm experience